Sunday 17 September 2006

The Great Milk Stout Ride 2006

Took part on this charity ride at Hamsterly Forest today. Felt really good, especially considering last week was my biggest week of commuting for a long time. Climbing, the ss has to go fast, or you just stall, so I was climbing the hills fast, getting off to walk when it was ust too steep, by which time the geared riders were in such a low gear that at times I was gaining on them while pushing the bike.

I caught up with a couple of riders in the second half of the ride and we were told by a marshall that we were 4th, 5th and 6th places. They dropped me towards the end, when I was spinning out on a long decent, but I don't think anyone passed me, so I probably finished 6th. Maybe 7th.

Distance: 21 miles
Surface: Off-road - long 'fireroad' climbs, technical singletrack
Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Weather: Warm and sunny
Bike: Kona Singlespeed (with 2.25″ tyres)

4 comments:

Ann said...

The main bonus of the day being, of course, that you are not dead.

See you tomorrow.

Mike said...

Why would I be dead?

htb said...

Got off to push?? Girl!

Mike said...

I was pushing faster than the gearies were riding!