Sunday 4 September 2005

On-and off-road through Bolam, Bishop Auckland, Middridge and Aycliffe

Ride map - 28/08/2005

It was a mix of on- and off-road, about 47km. Darlington to Burtree Gate on the road; off-road along a field-edge bridleway to the Walworth road; along that road to the A68, briefly on the A68 and the back on a monor road to Bolam; BOAT from Bloam to another road; bridleway (part of the W2W route) to Bishop Auckland; on the road to Eldon, then bridleway and road to middridge; off-road along bridleway to Aycliffe the Church Lane to A167; road through Brafferton to Coatham Mundeville; Patches Lane bridleway back to Whessoe Road, and then home.


  • Distance: 47km

  • Surface: Mixed on- and off-road

  • Time: About 4 hours

  • Weather: Warm and dry, quite windy

  • Bike: Inbred, with 1.75″ semi-slick tyres



[Update:] Having ridden some more local trails with narrow tyres, I'm even more convinced that a cyclocross bike would be the ideal bike for me and my current riding. Then I saw this fixed gear Surly Crosscheck on the MTBR forums and just thought it would be the ideal bike for me. Fixed might be going a bit far (but I'd like to give it a shot), but I only used a few gears on this ride, don't struggle with an ss on my ride to/from work, so I think a bike like this would be great.

2 comments:

mactually » Blog Archive » Local road/off road New Years Day ride said...

[...] well I’d handle it, especially the day after New Years… I did a variation on a ride I did a while ago, just riding the beginning, then following a main road home. You can see a map at Gmaps pe [...]

mactually » Blog Archive » On-and off-road through Bolam, Bishop Auckland, Middridge and Aycliffe again said...

[...] liffe again Quick post before I forget. Last Sunday (8th January) I rerode the longish local on- and off-road ride through Bolam, Bishop Auckland, Middridge and Aycliffe which I first did a while ago [...]